Friday, September 21, 2012

 
Value Portraits Art Critique

                                                                                                                                                        
To create my drawing, I first had to recieve a picture from mr. Sands of a person in our class.  From that picture I had to determine any differences in value within the persons face.  Then it was a matter of tracing my outlines onto my sketchbook and shading acordingly to what I had traced.  Also smudging so that it didn't just look like a bunch of lines.
To find and separate the differences in value within my portrait, I held the picture with tracing paper against a light source, and circled any differences betweens shades of the face through a variety of random shapes.  By doing this I was separating parts of his face that would later be shaded differently.  Once I had these shapes I could relate to the photo on how dark each shape should  be.  I did this untill the whole face was shaded, then I smudged certain patches together.
My portrait is a little bit on the lighter side.  there is definately a range of colors, but I think their could have been more.  By shading more in different places I created the differences in value.
It is neat and has a variety of values. It may not look exactly like my person, but there are several alike features.  I think it is neat because there are no lines and the drawing actually looks pretty realistic.
Some problems that came into the way of my drawing include too much of a shadow on the person's face so it was hard to, trace, and also the fact that alot of the shading would blend together.  I fixed the tracing issue by hand drawing out some of the nonvisible features and also putting the tracing paper up against a light source.  For the shading, I went back and added darker patches to the face without blending much at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment